Help for beginner 3d modelers
2013-10-22, 05:02 AM
RE: Help for beginner 3d modelers
md2 and md3, the two 3D formats supported by ACR, are old formats.

The developpers of 3D modelling programs tends to think 3D models aren't longer saved at all in these formats (or are longer saved in these format but marginally) and, now, implement them is useless.

These developpers also unimplement old format they implemented before for several reasons :
* The first is prevent the total size of the program from being too big.
* The second is include lots of formats, including old ones, provide more the feeling to use an outdated program than the one to use a swiss army tool.
* The third is encourage the use of recent/modern formats and discourage the use of old formats to spare the user from looking outdated. If it happens, the user may believe it's linked to the modelling program.
* The fourth is if the user absolutely needs/wants create old formats files, it's not actually a problem. He/she just needs devolop or find an addon then install it before. This user also can uses external tools.

It probably explain why you don't find the md3 format in your program.

Visibly, various md2 and md3 exporter plugins for 3ds max can be found at using Google. I can't try them because I haven't 3ds max. I prefer Blender.

Note when ACR try to load a model, it search first an md2 file and, if it doesn't find, search after an md3 file. It give a kind of priority to the md2 format. Due to this fact, in a mod, an md2 file can replace as well an other md2 file and an md3 file but an md3 file only can replace an other md3 file. If you try to replace an md2 file with an md3 file, your md3 file will be ignored and the original md2 file will be used.

Post Reply Quote this message in a reply
2013-10-22, 06:30 PM (This post was last modified: 2013-10-22, 06:36 PM by Rangefinder.)
does blender support md2 and md3 file? Or it needs a plugin / tool?
2013-10-22, 11:41 PM
Blender needs an import/export script (python)

[Image: 3SVsNlV.png]
2013-10-25, 07:40 PM
i've installed blender, but where can i get the md3 exporter and how do i install them?
2013-10-26, 01:32 AM
Search from google.I dont use blender myself so I cant help much!

2013-10-29, 06:33 AM
As said before the blender plugins suck like hell. Create your mod with blender, save it f.e. as .obj file via the export dialog and then open this file with this program and save it as md3/md2

The C Programming Language: combines the flexibility of assembly language with the power of assembly language.
2013-10-30, 11:45 AM
Thats one of the best ways you could to it actaully!