Poll: Cube 2
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yea
72.73%
8 72.73%
Nay
27.27%
3 27.27%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Cube 2 Engine
2013-05-08, 11:49 AM
RE: Cube 2 Engine
Do you guys really have that bad PC that it wont play cube 2 engine games like sauerbraten?

[Image: 3SVsNlV.png]
Post Reply Quote this message in a reply
2013-05-09, 06:36 AM
When putting all the switches to "(very) low", Cube 2 could run on even older Pcs. On my laptop with Radeon 5470 Mobile and Core i5 M430 (2x2.3) it works just at ~40-60 fps when using the highest possible settings, so I think it should run somehow with every Pc younger than 6-7 years. Taking a look at http://cube.wikispaces.com/Beginners+Guide, it say that even older Pcs (1Ghz CPU, man!) will do it.
My real problem is that Cube 2 is about 600Mb which could be a problem for people with a slow internet connection. All in all you also should not forget that, as it is much bigger, more work will be there to get the AC feeling. In addition to that we will need better textures for really getting the advantages of Cube 2.

The C Programming Language: combines the flexibility of assembly language with the power of assembly language.
2013-05-09, 07:12 AM
when there should be any problems finding hd textures just talk to me Big Grin
about the internetConfuseduperpacking it(around 600 MB) will make it to like 400MB(sauerbrateen is 500+ MB) and In my opinion AC was made for Multyplayer mostly becouse as you can see,the bots are really stupid dummies.If you have that bad connection you cant play Multiplayer well.Also I think that cube 2 might make this game more popular becouse it has more awesome ways to greate a good map(better enviorments in-game),lighting and shading is much more advanced(look at sauerbraten gameplays-its really nice).If we get shitloads of new models(maybe download free models-I could get some nice ones without the copyright problem) and 2 teams have different equipment,this would be totally awesome and adictive.I am pretty sure that then there will be more players online so multyplayer will be pretty popular.If this should happen i think that we do
need a modding community.

2013-05-09, 10:51 AM (This post was last modified: 2013-05-09, 11:08 AM by rXn.)
Has anybody taken a look at http://graphox.us/news.php ? I think they show some interesting concepts...Or at least they give some hints how to do some of the neccessary Sauerbraten mods. But however, I think they have a similar goal, so we should hurry up anyway Wink

The C Programming Language: combines the flexibility of assembly language with the power of assembly language.
2013-05-09, 01:54 PM
Well, I might have already said this, but I started the "Real Eclipse" project (a fork of Red Eclipe) to make it more "modern" rather than futuristic. I cancelled it to focus on ACR and because Red Eclipse is still under heavy development, so backporting their changes is not very fun.

Best regards,
Victor
//victorz.ca
Code:
Your antithesis compares favorably with any high magnitude of pwnage. (-you > |p|, you < -|p|)
My antithesis compares favorably with _that of_ any high magnitude of pwnage. (|-me| > |-p|, |me| > |p|)
2013-05-10, 02:36 PM
Just looked around a bit in the Sauerbraten sources... As far as I understand many actual or planned ACR stuff is already there (like some Gfx, improved/-able gui and especially projectiles!). So I think there is mainly that issue with the textures: Its obvious using those low-res textures from AC in Cube2 is a waste of ressources and time.
As the actual new weapon models are quite good, this (and the world models) seems to be the turning point.
Because Im quite new to Cube I might not understand why the greatest gun models are created, but the old crappy world models are still in use.
Btw: This "RealEclipse" stuff - is it possible to view/try it out somewhere?

2013-05-11, 07:26 AM
im with this all the way, it creates more work in my field but something i look forward to doing, it handles normal maps(bump maps) and specular lighting, all the stuff ive been trying to learn lately, this stuff makes it a bore trying to model for acr purely becuase of the original cube engines stats, although its still good fun it could look hella lot better Big Grin im all for this if we can get a team up together i will try my best to put in the time needed Smile

[Image: 521dba91454f1.jpg]
2013-05-11, 09:47 AM
If anyone creates some kinda team id like to be there too(modeling and textures)

2013-05-11, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 2013-05-11, 03:59 PM by Victor.)
So should I resurrect the "Real Eclipse" project? I might be a bit busy, so I can't start developing it immediately, but I can set up the site and the projects.

However, if I start the Real Eclipse project, then there isn't much point to continue running ACR. After we fully switch to the Real Eclipse project, then some changes will occur:
  • AssaultCube Reloaded's downloads will be left fully intact.
  • AssaultCube Reloaded's homepage will be removed and adapted for Real Eclipse
  • AssaultCube Reloaded's forum will be read-only, and adapted for Real Eclipse.

Best regards,
Victor
//victorz.ca
Code:
Your antithesis compares favorably with any high magnitude of pwnage. (-you > |p|, you < -|p|)
My antithesis compares favorably with _that of_ any high magnitude of pwnage. (|-me| > |-p|, |me| > |p|)
2013-05-11, 08:58 PM
The one problem I note is that I get like 15-25 fps on Red Eclipse and 60-75 fps in AssaultCube Reloaded on max settings for each.