Global Clan Protection is going away!
2012-07-01, 05:54 PM
Global Clan Protection is going away!
It is not good to users to blacklist names globally. You are still able to blacklist your clan (and whitelist its members) on your servers, and your partners' servers.

As of 2.5, no names will be checked against the master-server. This also helps to remove the base-64 crash possibility.

This means that players and clans could be impersonated, but if you try to prevent that at your local server, it would still be fine.

Best regards,
Victor
//victorz.ca
Code:
Your antithesis compares favorably with any high magnitude of pwnage. (-you > |p|, you < -|p|)
My antithesis compares favorably with _that of_ any high magnitude of pwnage. (|-me| > |-p|, |me| > |p|)
Post Reply Quote this message in a reply
2012-07-01, 08:58 PM
RE: Global Clan Protection is going away!
I'd like to keep this because:
1. We've already had two fake clan members try to get on our server.
2. Helps protect against impostors, already had 1 fake Nightmare.
3. Protects against idiots, makes people think of original clans.

Still alive in 2021. Wish you all the best and I'll drop in every now and again.
2012-07-02, 10:18 AM
RE: Global Clan Protection is going away!
1) You can still locally protect your clan on your and other's servers. Make agreements with other servers to use a shared nickname blacklist/whitelist.
2) No imposters will be able to operate on your server. You can even add IP checks if using the local blacklist.
3) Freedom of speech...?

If you want to restrict the use of clan tags, it is not reasonable to restrict it on every server. It is reasonable to restrict it on your own server, along with other servers that you make agreements with.

Best regards,
Victor
//victorz.ca
Code:
Your antithesis compares favorably with any high magnitude of pwnage. (-you > |p|, you < -|p|)
My antithesis compares favorably with _that of_ any high magnitude of pwnage. (|-me| > |-p|, |me| > |p|)