Map improvements
2012-04-04, 01:48 AM
Map improvements
We are not just in need of more maps, in general we are in need of better maps. The old maps we have from AC are bot that good in my opinion. In general those maps have often the follwing issues:

*The lightning is crap. Good lightning shows contrast, and the maps are lit not very well. They all have mostly white lights, but not close to each other, which gives some unwanted shadows between the lights. You barely see a contrast between dark (inside areas) and bright areas (outside). Often the light has no source. Yes, I know the AC lightning is primitive, but that doesn't mean nothing can be done with it. A diagonal sun can be made by placing more intense light at one wall than on another.A few lights should be white. sunlights should have less blue color. Lights that are not natural should be slightly blue...
*monotony. If you have seen one map, you mostly have seen them all.What they (mostly) do:
Play with textures
What they don't do:
**Show contrast, not just in light but also in textures and geometry. What about first some nice houses and after that a bombed city? (we'd need a few additional textures though)
**Include not that often used mapmodels. There are seome models that are used exessivly, and some like the computer/racks, staircases, that are used not enough. Maps should show variety.
**Be outside. You can see never hills or anything similar... again, variety.
*box feeling. When playing those maps, you feel like playing in a limited box. Why? The geometry is limited to the playing area. You see no houses, trees or anything else behind those walls. Also, you should never be able to climb the walls that limit the playing area. Also, what about bigger maps? In height and in width, those maps are mostly too small. It costs more work and performance, but come on. Even Ĩ with my terribly outdated computer get 'bout 50 fps, that are 20 fps that can be spent on better maps at least.
*Textures. That's a problem... Mappers seem to think using few textures is suited. Even if the textures need to be improved, mappers should take the full capacity of textures that are already available.
(We also need higher resolution textures, btw.)

And now, how to do that stuff? Improving all the maps is hard work, but I think an editing team should be formed that works together on specific maps. It should have specific times when the team members meet and effectivly work on one map, like one improves that area, one improves the lightning... It's much work to do, but I think we can get it Tongue
Post Reply Quote this message in a reply
2012-04-06, 01:25 PM
RE: Map improvements
The problem is the limitation of the cube engine.

And maybe we should just start to work on a whole new official map list?

Maybe we should get some new textures too, and give the game a better look the the current "run down" style of the ac textures.

2014-07-22, 01:17 AM
I like the idea to make this diagonal sun or shit,it should make a huge difference.

[Image: 3SVsNlV.png]
2014-07-22, 05:49 AM
For one thing, areas in a map that players can't access are wasteful, and generally people don't like them.

For another, 30 FPS is not good. Displays are typically in the range of 60-120 Hz and one well-known scientist suggested that anything less than 46 Hz strains the human eye. Fast moving objects (such as those in an action film or videogame) look jerky when subjected to a slower framerate than would be ideal. The recent Hobbit films were shot in 48 FPS and people who saw these versions actually complained that the increased lifelike picture removed some of the suspension of belief.

While humans can't coax much more than "100 Hz" (eyes see movement, they don't do full refreshes so the terminology isn't quite correct) out of their eyes, 30 FPS isn't suitable for an fast-paced videogame.
2014-07-22, 07:14 AM
People (gamers) say that under 50 fps is noticeable lag and the more fps the better.Though I don`t know what damn computer was he using,50 fps only?I`m running ACR 300-400 fps wtf dude

[Image: 3SVsNlV.png]
2014-08-13, 08:57 AM
Nobody runs this game under 123 fps , unless you are on a laptop
And even so I'm running acr at 954fps on a GTX 680, but I still lag in servers by the way, most of the computers I've played it on, run it at about epicz 400-500 fps so some sacrifices in frame rate can be made...
It's just the engine doesn't support it , needs bigger maps is my only complaint and yea the lighting is not he best but in time....

God must love stupid people. He made so many.
->unknown

[Image: 8VEZK0Q.gif]
2014-08-14, 02:01 AM
xD, I wrote this a long time ago, at least long in terms of computing... I mean I could dl this game again just to see how many 100 fps I'd get, but no, thanks Tongue

Don't design around fps.

I have moved on from this game though Tongue.
2014-08-14, 09:24 PM
What have you moved on to?

God must love stupid people. He made so many.
->unknown

[Image: 8VEZK0Q.gif]