HUD and Icons - New Design Style?
2014-07-03, 11:17 PM (This post was last modified: 2014-07-03, 11:44 PM by DeltaStrikeOp.)
RE: HUD and Icons - New Design Style?
So we would only have the new text system implemented only for weapons? I understand the headshot and maybe critical obits, but couldn't almost all kills be displayed as text? I'm afraid that we'll again clutter the HUD with too much information.

Ex:
Regular kill
DeltaStrikeOp [M4A1] NeebsGaming
Team Kill
DeltaStrikeOp [Teamkill w/ M4A1] NeebsGaming
Suicide
DeltaStrikeOp is no more
Headshot/Specials (like bleeding out)
DeltaStrikeOp [M4A1] NeebsGaming <[headshot]> (or put icon here)
Specials (Nuke, Airstrike/Cluster Grenade)
DeltaStrikeOp [Cluster Grenade] NeebsGaming

DSO
Windows 8 fanboy =D
"Not dead, can't quit"
Post Reply Quote this message in a reply
2014-07-04, 12:46 PM
Actually, teamkills will be obvious from the colors, so we don't need to indicate teamkills.

Kill
Victor [M4A1] a player
a player [M4A1] Victor

Teamkill
Victor [M4A1] DeltaStrikeOp
Teammate [M4A1] DeltaStrikeOp
Teammate [M4A1] Victor

Assist (show number only)
Victor (+1) [M4A1] a player

Repeated Obits
Victor [M4A1] a player (x2)

Combos
Victor [M4A1] a player
Victor [M4A1] another player [2]
Victor [M4A1] some player [3]

Suicide
[M67] Victor
[Drown] Victor
[Fall] Victor

Headshot, critical, first blood, revenge
Victor [M4A1] * * * * a player
* refers to icons

Gain juggernaut
Victor ^
^ refers to the juggernaut icon (we can keep it or replace it--it doesn't matter because the current icon is LGPL)

And possibly...
Special kills (assisted suicide, suicide because of friendly fire, suicide by pressing K)
Victor * a player
* Victor
We just use the icon instead of the weapon name text for these.
We probably do not want to use our current icons because they copyrighted.

Best regards,
Victor
//victorz.ca
Code:
Your antithesis compares favorably with any high magnitude of pwnage. (-you > |p|, you < -|p|)
My antithesis compares favorably with _that of_ any high magnitude of pwnage. (|-me| > |-p|, |me| > |p|)
2014-07-04, 02:40 PM (This post was last modified: 2014-07-04, 08:37 PM by DeltaStrikeOp.)
Okay, I like that system. It should declutter the HUD and would help new players better understand the killfeed

Not sure if assisted suicide nor k suicide would be needed. Those IMO should still be the Player is no more, or something funny. However I do like the regular suicide tags. Maybe just [k suicide] or something related would work

DSO
Windows 8 fanboy =D
"Not dead, can't quit"
2014-07-04, 06:28 PM
Since we're redoing them anyways why not add more customization options. Maybe customizable colors, size, etc.
2014-07-04, 10:38 PM
That'd be an interesting feature. Would it create more work to implement though? Colors should be simple enough. Just swap out the colors in photoshop or an equivalent program. I've always wanted to change the font, but alas, seems that we need to make our own font since there's some rule about waiting 20 years before the font is free use.

DSO
Windows 8 fanboy =D
"Not dead, can't quit"
2014-07-05, 09:00 AM
Actually, the killfeed uses \f color codes. We can still implement custom killfeed colors, but would it be worth it?

I think we can use the current font because it's not eligible for copyright, at least in the United States.

Best regards,
Victor
//victorz.ca
Code:
Your antithesis compares favorably with any high magnitude of pwnage. (-you > |p|, you < -|p|)
My antithesis compares favorably with _that of_ any high magnitude of pwnage. (|-me| > |-p|, |me| > |p|)
2014-07-05, 10:49 AM
Shouldn`t we think about RedEclipse right now.There`s alot to do,since we haven`t done shit.

[Image: 3SVsNlV.png]
2014-07-05, 11:40 AM
I think custom colors should get implemented eventually, but I don't think it should be a low priority(something for 2.7.1 maybe).
2014-07-06, 06:53 AM (This post was last modified: 2014-07-06, 06:56 AM by Fru5tum.)
NO NO NO Color is bad .-. Mabey you can adjust it to be different colors but its good to have one color platelet throughout the entire piece, to many colors mean visual obscurences. ie. The colors attract the player, and also destracts, the more colors and HUD space you take up the more is taken away from the experience from the game part. Think of it like webpage banners. If I had a nickel for everytime I stopped looking at a page because ill i saw were banners, We definitley wouldn't have 2 servers .-. More like 20, yes color depiction is a nice feature and perhaps can still be implemented but the goal of having a single color platelet is to attract someone's attention to what it is about. For example
Battlefield: Nice small blue colored text bright enough to be depicted from game but not to bright to be focused on to much. How often do i look at the HUD items ( except radar and gun info) NEVER because that is mainly all they give you and it isn't noticible unless u try ( and u dont need to try very hard either )
Call of Duty: The call of duty HUD is great , it's a lot more space than battlefield but the color makes it all better and so does the text effects. Black Ops ( the HUD items and text had a sorta beat down feeling as if used a lot , lots of brown rusty colors , Advanced Warfare: if u saw the trailer close enough you would've seen some nice HUD images so to speak the Advanced Warfare HUD is to give you a futuristic electronic look .-. If it sound complicated just move on. What I'm trying to say, a large varity of colors is to distracting. Same color throughout means the player gains attraction to their UI
As for HUD space DSO has the right idea. In fact I would rather play with that layout then a bunch if flashing colors. If you take the color spectrum and pull out the most visual of colors Victorz layout already has 3 of those four main colors Yellow, Red , Blue and even to a lesser extent green, and to top it all of they burst in and out , pop pop pop , even if this was the right way to go it would be more suitable if it gradually change ( which is difficult but worth it in a fast paced game ) so mabey fade in fade out . And even if u ignore all this i still promote focusing towards one color. And DSO on your icons the backgrounds could be more blue and mabey fit in better Big Grin could you most a screenshot of the icons in game? It would be appreciated :>

God must love stupid people. He made so many.
->unknown

[Image: 8VEZK0Q.gif]
2014-07-08, 11:24 PM
Wow, it's been a while since I read this thread. I think that if you have an idea for the HUD, it'd probably be easier to make an outline on it in adobe illustrator or microsoft paint if you don't have it. Reading a huge chunk of text gets a bit boring lol. What I can say is that Battlefield 4's HUD is crowded compared to past BF games. However, I do think that it is necessary, except for the annoying personal kills that flash up. I agree that the delay is very awkward. Haven't played much CoD (not a fanboy LOL), so can't comment much there ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We'll have to be careful with colors. For now, Victor has a good plan with the colors that are similar to the US military designation, Blue for BLUFOR (Good guys), Red for OPFOR (Baddies), Green for civilians/noncombatants, but in this case, messed up teammates >.< But green does imply that the particular player is on your side

With regards to the icon, for now, I'm leaving it as a white icon, black outlines, and yellow background. I do agree, the colors are weird. The current yellow reminds me of my old construction Tonka trucks LOL.

Once I finish all 4 of the killstreak icons, I'll release them for testing in game. I plan on creating a feather effect for the final icons, but haven't had much time lately with midterms coming up. I haven't really had time to test the icons in game yet, so I would appreciate it if you could try to test them in game for me and give me feedback.

DSO
Windows 8 fanboy =D
"Not dead, can't quit"