Poll: Should ACR have DirectX Graphics?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes go for it!
41.67%
5 41.67%
No, it may not be worth it
58.33%
7 58.33%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

ACR DirectX 9 -11 ? | + Sweet EFX Shader Suite
2014-02-08, 11:48 AM
RE: ACR DirectX 9 -11 ? | + Sweet EFX Shader Suite
Unfortunately, the ACR will not start on my ubuntu 9.10. AC 1.2 runs, but there is a problem with the sound. At the same time, on my system run without problems RedEclipce1.4, sauerbraten and Urban Terror 4.2.018.
Post Reply Quote this message in a reply
2014-02-08, 07:13 PM
Google Chrome's ANGLE project lets you run OpenGL and WebGL with DirectX, so maybe someone can try using it on ACR.

Other than that, I doubt anyone's going to add DirectX support, though it could be done by having a flag (#ifdef USEDIRECTX to switch between DirectX and OpenGL code).

Best regards,
Victor
//victorz.ca
Code:
Your antithesis compares favorably with any high magnitude of pwnage. (-you > |p|, you < -|p|)
My antithesis compares favorably with _that of_ any high magnitude of pwnage. (|-me| > |-p|, |me| > |p|)
2014-02-10, 11:24 AM
ANGLE is for OpenGL ES 2.0. I'm pretty sure that's not compatible with normal OpenGL
2014-02-11, 06:01 PM
I doubt anyone's going to bother adding DirectX support for ACR, but if someone does, he or she can send a pull request.

Best regards,
Victor
//victorz.ca
Code:
Your antithesis compares favorably with any high magnitude of pwnage. (-you > |p|, you < -|p|)
My antithesis compares favorably with _that of_ any high magnitude of pwnage. (|-me| > |-p|, |me| > |p|)
2014-08-15, 07:04 AM
I know this post is a little old,but what victor said about being able to switch between OpenGL and DirectX is not impossible and I highly recommend in the future ( with the power of 1,345 pull request from a DX9 version of ACR) aside from a recreation of the windows main function, this is 100% possible and shouldn't be very time consuming (I can work on it myself and send a pull request every now and then)
But the idea is
Current Version
-> Window Opens up with a complete OpenGL support comparability and control, therefore anything that happens in the window is controlled by OpenGL
Proposed Version
-> windows opens up using the windows API as a whole as apposed control to a graphics API
(Another way is to allow windows to open it up in 2 different modes which isn't recommended as it will increase a lot of hdd
After Windows opens this window it then runs the acr screen
NOTE-> FOR THIS TO WORK ACR CAN NOT RUN KICKSTART WE NEED A MENU ( because it is currently still in development to switch APIs in real time,
So a main menu is going to need to be used to switch from Directx to OpenGL and vice versa Sad
Now , to clear things up a bit I want you to understand OpenGL is more CPU intense, whereas Directx is more GPU intense
(The both are the same but keep in mind how many Nividia GPU there are to support dx9,10,11,12
So the proposed idea is to either have a main menu or a startup dialog to allow switching of certain features
Using them at the same time is a very bad idea, but having them run switch controlled is nearly impossible so let's simply say what would happen Yass
-> Horrid Quality (runs on low end Cross plat)
OpenGL controlled , horrible lighting and shaders
-> low quality (runs on normal end cross plat)
OpenGL controlled, okay lighting and okay shaders)
->Mediun Quality ( runs on avg end crossplat)
You can pick between control from OpenGL to Direct x
Medium Quality is the highest quality that we can play on Linux OSx
->High Quality (runs on higher end windows PC)
DirectX controlled using high quality lighting ( it's actually low quality but with some simple blend functions it will be fine)
- accurate particles control
-> Ultra Quality (runs on higher end windows PC)
DirectX controlled using global illumination and Ghost Shaders
This feature will also support
-texture mipmapping (helps for higher quality textures)
-ghost shaders (shaders for textures with specular map effects)
-filtering (kinda blend the color theme between time and area (darker colors for night maps)
-more file type support (which means moving Skymaps and possible mp3 quality a,
-surround sound
-direct input which will help multiplayer users to combine keystrokes to find out what each other is doing,
-server predict... ( smoother servers )
Now High Quality Mode and Ultra Quality can be achieved on Mac but I have to look into it more

Now you know the pros and stuff and hopefully we will see diferencess in quality modes....

God must love stupid people. He made so many.
->unknown

[Image: 8VEZK0Q.gif]
2014-08-15, 02:51 PM
And can you explain why spending time and doing hard work on bringing DirectX in is better than moving to another engine.This DirectX thing is stupid and what we should do is go over to Cube 2 engine NOW!

[Image: 3SVsNlV.png]
2014-08-15, 04:07 PM
I definitely agree and I don't know why we haven't like, I suggestion a recreation of Cube 1 called Cube Mod which features some of this Directx stuff and honestly better than cube 2 because no one has said anything about a engine change Sad I'm working on my own engine so I havnt paid much attention to any others....

->unknown

2014-08-16, 03:41 PM (This post was last modified: 2014-08-16, 03:54 PM by -{ET}-xdEpicZombie.)
Today I downloaded the Tesseract,I didnt really know what it was before but its awesome.Victor,it can be done with Real Eclipse right?I mean all the dynamic lighting and stuff?There was one thing that disturbed me just a bit,game that looks so impressive(I cant still belive that it was cube 2 engine behind all that) has so static map.Every goddamn item on Complex map should have been able to move and fly around if I shoot at them.Though that is not so hard ro do I guess.

I actually forgot what I wanted to say in the first place,Victor I have an idea.lets start some heavy work as soon as 2015 comes with Real Eclipse,Ill do my best to model everything we need.guns,players what ever just lets start with it.ACR is a dead end and has no future,no one plays this kind of a game.Graphics suck,physics suck,its not you fault or anyones really but somehoq we have to go further,players want realistic enviroments with awesome features,customisations,freedom to play as you want to but with ACR I feel like a player is limited so much,you cant really do anything besides running in a TINY map and shooting some humanoid looking guy with a few guns.I see you trying,in 2.7 alpha the weapon sets or classes or what ever the fuck you would like to call them,but as I said before and will say whenever ACR does not have future.Im kinda sorry because we all are like been with it for such a long time,its been a part of my daily routine to check this forum 5 times in day for couple of years now but still leys all face it,what chance do we have besides all those free FPS games out there with open worlds and stunning graphics.I just hope that you guys listen to me,maing a new game isnt just victors job,and even two guys probably could not pull it off so lets do it with our little community here!For the brighter future!That sucked,right?

[Image: 3SVsNlV.png]
2014-08-16, 05:27 PM
I agree 99% percent, although it does piss me off all this work on this game and we have a avg of 10 players online at a time.....
For Better or for worse ACR is not worth all this trouble with graphics etc.
I do belive everyone is eager to work on real eclipse as apposed to acr...
ACR has been through a whole lot in the past time
And I want to name the Main reason
Copyright
To much trouble with copyright materials
The original AC hates us
And the game is outdated :'(
Now that doesn't mean ACR needs a full 100% stop
But we spend to much pointless ammounts of time attempting to improve what will take to long to do with a group of 5 people....
New Game,More Devs,More Players,More Point in trying
For every player we get get we lose two.
Here is the idea
Real Eclipse -> Inspired by Red Eclipse, and ACR
Real eclipse is the beginning to the end of ACR ......
I mean everyone has leftSad DSO and Epicz were the first people I met here and have been here forever , almost everyone else who use to chill here went to find a game that wasn't so...
"Light" (except ruler,nightmare and moss)
Even Padge left :'( ( I'm going to contact him )
If this isn't I your best wishes then fine , I'm not gunna rage quit over it but just know it's not only me and epicz...
I will participate as much as possible in either game, I just want to learn.
Even if we dont switch to mainly RE at least get RE started so we can do something aside from sit here suggest ideas that are simply pointless
*currently on RE forums*
We can do this. All of us. Together.
Damn that was cheesier than a mouses dinner...

->unknown

2014-08-16, 06:23 PM (This post was last modified: 2014-08-16, 06:24 PM by Victor.)
I think we should finish ACR 2.7 first. The beta version can be released very soon.

Best regards,
Victor
//victorz.ca
Code: