ACR Updater[CLI]
2014-06-25, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 2014-06-25, 04:44 PM by ruler501.)
RE: ACR Updater[CLI]
If you commit the code I'll see what I can do to help out, the python was kind of ugly how I left it if I remember correctly. I'll also have a server to host mods at some point when I can afford to pay for hardware for a new server since mine died. Also it would be a good idea to establish how mods should be packaged and most importantly how to handle versions, readme's and the like.
Post Reply Quote this message in a reply
2014-06-27, 04:49 AM
Ill commit it today (I hope). Anyway, my GUI code is more or less non-existent till know so Ill upload the stuff I ported from your python script (still without network and mods as this is currently quite fragile and to be (re-)defined).

For the mod packaging standard:

1.All should be downloadable using an archive file (Id suggest zip as its most common, but Ill be happy with gzip/bzip too).

2. To make mods installable from local files there should be a file storing information in it. I personally hate XML, so please "just" a config file Big Grin
This file should include (or at least link to) version, readme and licence information.

3. More complicated mods should include a script file (bash or batch script) that gets executed atfer confirming a security warning.

For the server:
All it needs is a file server, I think there are a lot out there (even sourceforge would do it). I think some 100MBytes are quite enough.

Feel free to suggest and criticise!

The C Programming Language: combines the flexibility of assembly language with the power of assembly language.
2014-06-27, 07:33 AM
I was actually going to use my server once I get it up and running. What I meant was what the server protocol would be for uploading/downloading the mods. It would be preferable to have it send a list of mods and the available versions when requested and then be able to fetch the correct version.
2014-06-27, 10:09 AM (This post was last modified: 2014-06-27, 10:11 AM by rXn.)
Well, afaik the usual network requests in python or Qt/C++ support http(s) and ftp. If I get way too much free time this summer I might even put a small php/html page to manage mods.
For the mod list on the server I'd suggest something like
Code:
start_mod
modname=Instant Nuke
modversion=123456789
moddesc=Something
using
all lines
until the
next value
modurl=http://example.com
end_mod
and so on.
This way you only need a file server. All the interesting stuff will be done by the client.

The C Programming Language: combines the flexibility of assembly language with the power of assembly language.
2014-06-27, 10:31 AM
I have a small python script that can handle the HTTP requests server side, just wondering what our final protocol should be for how to request information and how to send.
2014-06-27, 10:36 AM
Perhaps you should use a standard format: JSON, XML, or @rXn's modified INF.

Best regards,
Victor
//victorz.ca
Code:
Your antithesis compares favorably with any high magnitude of pwnage. (-you > |p|, you < -|p|)
My antithesis compares favorably with _that of_ any high magnitude of pwnage. (|-me| > |-p|, |me| > |p|)
2014-06-27, 10:39 AM
Yeah I was thinking INF-like sent through HTTP.
2014-06-27, 11:35 AM (This post was last modified: 2014-06-27, 11:37 AM by rXn.)
Well, python requires a *full* server. As the purpose is only to give all clients the files they want, a (free Wink) file server is the easiest (and cheapest)?

//Edit: Created the pull request, forgive me if I did sth wrong. Btw its all work in progress Tongue

2014-06-27, 11:46 AM
How about lighttpd?

Best regards,
Victor
//victorz.ca
Code:
Your antithesis compares favorably with any high magnitude of pwnage. (-you > |p|, you < -|p|)
My antithesis compares favorably with _that of_ any high magnitude of pwnage. (|-me| > |-p|, |me| > |p|)
2014-06-27, 12:26 PM
If I can get my server back up it'll run python scripts just fine.