Cube Licence Clarification
2013-08-09, 02:51 PM (This post was last modified: 2013-08-11, 04:26 PM by Victor.)
Cube Licence Clarification
I Wrote:AssaultCube is a mod of Cube, licenced under the Cube licence. It is the same as the zLib licence, but includes this clause:

additional clause specific to Cube:

4. Source versions may not be "relicensed" under a different license
without my explicitly written permission.

But it says that the clause is "specific to Cube", so does that mean it does not apply to AssaultCube? AssaultCube Reloaded, a fork of AssaultCube, is relicenced under the GPL v3 under that assumption.

If the original intent was to force all derivatives to use the Cube licence, I can change the licence back to the Cube licence.

Dang it... I forgot the salutation and signature...

Quote:Clearly that is transitive, i.e. a mod of Cube is built on the Cube source, so it falls under the Cube license, so cannot change its license either.
That clause was specifically put in to disallow the GPL. So yes, please change it back.

Wouter

I Wrote:Dear Wouter van Oortmerssen:

All future versions will be changed to the Cube licence, and an announcement on our forum indicates that all previous releases should be treated as if they had been licenced under the Cube licence.

Best Regards,

Victor Zheng
AssaultCube Reloaded

All future versions will be changed to the Cube licence, and an announcement on our forum indicates that all previous releases should be treated as if they had been licenced under the Cube licence.

Best Regards,

Victor Zheng
AssaultCube Reloaded

I had originally relicenced AssaultCube Reloaded to the GPL so that all derivatives of AssaultCube Reloaded will also have to be open-source.

Will you grant AssaultCube Reloaded permission to use the Cube licence with an additional clause requiring that the source code of all AssaultCube Reloaded derivatives be provided?

Best Regards,

Victor Zheng
AssaultCube Reloaded

Quote:The whole point of BSD style licenses (like ZLIB, en thus the Cube license) in contrast to the GPL is that source code does NOT need to be provided.
So, no.

I Wrote:But why don't you want to force derivative works to release the source? Don't you want to make it so that their improvements can be easily backported to your original software?

Quote:No, I don't. If you want to learn about why people choose BSD style licenses over the GPL, there are endless resources about that online.

Wouter

Best regards,
Victor
//victorz.ca
Code:
Your antithesis compares favorably with any high magnitude of pwnage. (-you > |p|, you < -|p|)
My antithesis compares favorably with _that of_ any high magnitude of pwnage. (|-me| > |-p|, |me| > |p|)
Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Cube Licence Clarification - by Victor - 2013-08-09, 02:51 PM
RE: Cube Licence Clarification - by Victor - 2013-08-11, 02:47 PM