AssaultCube Reloaded Forums

Full Version: Can we resurrect ACR?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well, I'm pretty active on Reddit, I've lost my touch with CSS and web coding in general. I'd be willing to make a subreddit and moderate it as long as someone could do some CSS styling?
hey guys, Its been a few years lol I have checked up on these forums once in a blue moon over the years just to see if anything happened. I would be keen to do some weapon models again just for fun if it would help. In the last 8 years I finished my university degree and managed to get titles like COD:MW  among others under my belt. pretty crazy to come back here and browse the old posts lol, hope you are all doing well and would love to hear from the old team.
ACR isn't completely dead, but it is even closer than ever before.

ACR still releases more often than AC, but that's only because 2.7 years < 6.2 years (comparing the max(time between last 2 significant releases, time since last release)).
The next ACR release will likely be mainly a maintenance release to fix issues without introducing many new features.
Man it's been awhile, and I'm glad to see this game is still up. But also I'm sad to see the days of free-to-play FPS games has gone way by. I had a lot of fun on with this game.

I hope all is well with anyone who still comes by and reads this.
Hey guys, a bit late to the party as well. I've recently tried getting into scripting in LUA and would definitely like to get some new experience in other languages. Maybe we should make a discord server and bring out our thoughts and ideas..
Maybe try it on another engine? Also on 2.5D, but on doom1/2, there is a lot of content for modification and creation for modern doom ports. I like k8vavoom, but the network mode is still unfinished in it, and the main programmer has concentrated on single player, he simply has no time to deal with multiplayer.
https://doomer.boards.net/thread/2260/k8...dies-build

[Image: 1db4a10c3cfbfcc4.jpeg]
Antivirus scanners are detecting ACR as malware, even if you compile it yourself. I think there are some memory leaks or buffer overruns that cause ACR to crash, and those same memory management issues are probably triggering those false positives.

Fixing the memory management issues would probably be important for the next release, but fixing them is hard.

AC includes a bunch of places where they intentionally increase pointers to crash the game if some condition is met, such as players that exceed a predefined speed, probably as a form of "anticheat" to annoy users who try to do basic memory hacking. However, since ACR introduces classes that let players move faster, this would trigger this condition and crash the game. Of course, ACR has already removed this code, but others like this could still remain.

I personally don't have time to look into these issues right now.
I think that creating AssaultCube Reloaded with completely free content will be interesting for the wider community. Because as https://libregamewiki.org/Cube_Engine writes: "Thus far no one has made entirely free versions."
Pages: 1 2